Discuss: Trading Hours may get extended, are you looking forward to it?

Just saw this post on Twitter, are you in for it?

Source: https://twitter.com/CNBCTV18Live/status/1755066087475950078

2 Likes

No. I trade index options. Guess only futures trading hours are being extended. So basically am in a don’t care mode on this one.

The positive impact of extending market hours is greater.
According to me as a naked option buyer.

1. If market hours are extended then daily gaps of market will be traded , plus over night hedge positions with undefined loss also Safely managed by trader. And buyer also take benefits of less gaps and more moments.

2. Hedge positions are not good for option buyers so after extension of trading hours. There will be three sessions in a day. When market gives good moment and when market gives moment Hedge funds exit their positions so a full day consolidation is no more problem for option buyer.

3. 9 to 5 job is no more a problem for trading.

4. International events also traded live .

5. Overnight premium decay gives good benefit to hedge funds after extension of trading hours market closing hours are decreased so the overnight decay benefits are also decreased.

6. Flexible routine. If morning or afternoon session is Missed Then there is evening session available for Trading.

Maybe there is a negative impact but I see this scenario as a positive step for Indian future and option market.

1 Like

Most likely it will start with Index Futures and then will move to Options as well - the way I think of it.

Also to note, Futures are now very thinly traded segment, infact the smallest even when compared to Currency ~ 10% of currency volumes.

The infrastructure required to keep markets open for more time just for one segment wouldn’t make commercial sense for exchanges is what I feel. So yes, may start with one segment and go ahead with Cash & Options as well.

2 Likes

Hmm…There is life out of trading…Watt lagne ki sambhavana unless we trade in auto mode.

I’ve a feeling that there will be hefty losses for new retail traders. In Current 9:15-3:30 Window there are many who wont make any profit.
Just imagine, For a Small retail trader , who is trading with small money, there are 3X chances now that they will blow up their entire Capital.

SEBI has rejected the extended trading hours proposal by NSE.

What do you think of this measure? Do share your thoughts.

@t7support @Sammy @pavz @KirubakaranRajendran @PiyushChaudhry @ArjunaGupta @Trader_Rdx @iamshrimohan

3 Likes

Oof… a breather for me . I was totally against it . And happy for this news . Already there is market froth . With too many trades and expires. People would loose their sleep this comes into effect .

Family time is retained for now :blush:

Only advantage I could see is bpo people would have got a slot to trade :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

It is a good move from SEBI. Based on personal experience, people are investing heavily in options without much consideration, even after repeatedly losing their capital. Options are not the main instruments for earning money in the stock market. The concept of options is primarily for hedging future contracts, yet people are engaging in option trading excessively.

Though longer hours can increase liquidity and global investor accessibility, they can also lead to higher volatility and operational challenges. Above all, they can impact the peace of mind of a trader.

Lastly, futures and options (F&O) present a paradoxical ease and difficulty in making money within the stock market.

1 Like

i think this is the good decision by SEBI.

Our market should be open 24/7 like forex to complete with it. :100: