Discussion: 24*7 Trading evaluation being done by NYSE

The New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) is thinking about extending its trading hours to 24/7 because of competition from cryptocurrencies, which trade non-stop. Currently, trading already happens electronically before and after the traditional opening and closing bells.

This idea is partly driven by a startup, backed by billionaire Steve Cohen, aiming to be the first to offer round-the-clock trading. Some retail brokers like Robinhood already allow trading at any time.

This change could have big effects. Imagine if important events like Elon Musk’s tweets or geopolitical tensions happen outside of regular trading hours. The market could react quickly, making it challenging for traders to respond.

Traders would need to adjust by using strategies that involve watching the market in real time and using automated trading to react fast to the news. Managing risks would become even more important to handle sudden changes in the market at any time.

Forget extending hours by NSE, NYSE is considering a totally different route.

Do share your thoughts, how difficult do you think the life of traders based out of US will be ? and how it will affect our markets as well?

1 Like

Read that as NSE for a moment… :smiling_face_with_tear:

1 Like

I Don’t Support Such Ideas Of Either Extending Trading Hours Or Having It 24*7…
It’s Hectic & Will Also Affects Our Life, Health & Mental Stability I Feel, This Is Simple If Job Can’t Be Of More Than 8 Hours, Why Trading Should Be?

My thesis is, whatever needs to done to support the big, resource-heavy players WILL be done globally. People at power are enjoying their cuts and perks globally.

This is in sync with the trend of everything heading towards monopoly / duopoly / limited competition market environment, be it trading or banking or infrastructure or realty, in any sector literally.

Institutions will setup a 3-shift top trading desk talent so its money for them 24x7 (mostly).

Only the 5%, of the present top 5% retail trader, will survive in a 24*7 environment.

For me, I select my trade time, I select my trade duration, I select where I want to put money. Regardless of 24*7 markets, a smart retail trader wouldn’t want to win all the battles, but to win at his own time and pace. Stoics will likely do far better in a more competitive environment.

1 Like

Algo traders would be fine provided any possible glitch scenarios can be handled utilizing redundancies or alerts and subsequent manual interventions.

Discretionary traders would have it tough. It’s impossible to stay with the market 24x7 physically.

Anyway this will give our regulators and exchanges the required push to keep our markets open 24x7

1 Like