Discussion: Semiconductor Industry in India

Recently, PM Modi inaugurated TATA’s maiden semiconductor factory in Assam. The endeavor to establish the semiconductor industry is at an all-time high, and understandably so. The benefits far outweigh the drawbacks by a significant margin. I recently delved into the intricacies of building a semiconductor factory, and let me tell you, it’s mind-boggling. The video below provides a great insight into how TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company), the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturer, serves clients like Apple, Qualcomm, and Nvidia.

It’s a tremendous opportunity for manufacturing in general. However, the challenges associated with establishing something as massive as a semiconductor industry are enormous!

Here are a few intriguing documentaries and articles that I’ve watched to learn more about the semiconductor industry:

A very interesting video on why china is losing the chip game:

How do you envision the future of the industry? Have you conducted any research on this topic?

2 Likes

India is at the right place and time. The underlying tech for fab keeps changing very fast in fab industry as moore’s law plays out. Building a facility from scratch can naturally mean we can have the latest and greatest in. Also, we have a lot of electronic product and semiconductor design activity happening in India and having manufacturing close by is very helpful. Then the demographic dividend and cheap labor we have is a natural aid to our pursuit to become the world’s leading semiconductor manufacturer.

2 Likes