Now Live: An All New & Improved Pledge Experience on Dhan

Hello Super Traders,

At Dhan, we recognize the importance for traders to leverage their holdings for margin benefits while executing trades. Consequently, we launched Pledge on Dhan to be one of the best experiences in the industry. With instant margin benefits available from pledging across all segments, all exchanges and for option buying as well as selling, we left no stone unturned to make it as dynamic as possible. We have written a detailed post about how we have built the incredible pledge experience on Dhan here in this post.

Over the last few months, we set out to make pledging on Dhan even better. On speaking with many users and going through their feedback, we realised there was a key element missing in that journey. There was no way for Traders to find out and discover which scrips would fetch them higher margin benefits at the time of their purchase. Ofcourse, traders have their own portfolio to pledge, but if they wanted to maximise the margin opportunity they would struggle at it.

That got us thinking, what if there was a way for you to make this journey even better and allow you to discover Stocks / Scrips / Securities and also capitalise on higher margins benefits that they make possible? Thus came an All New, First of its Kind, Pledge Experience on Dhan.

What’s New?

Now when you go to the Pledge section on Dhan from the Money / Funds section of the app, you will see a quick introduction on why Pledging on Dhan is one of the best in the industry and you will have two options:

1. Pledge your Existing Holdings: This allows you to pledge your existing Portfolio Holdings on Dhan for Margin Benefits as per the usual process.
  2. Discover Holdings with High Margin Benefits (New): Using this section you will be able to view high margin scrips that you can buy and avail pledge benefits from.

In the Pledge Discovery section, there are Cash & Non-Cash scrips along with the margin that you can utilize from pledging each of them.

Cash Equivalent Scrips will include Liquid ETFs, SBGs and GSecs that will fetch you 90% margin benefits once pledged. These will be counted as Cash components, which means that they will also fulfil the 50% cash margin requirement when you use them to place trades. There will be no need to separately maintain the 50:50 Cash to Non-Cash ratio if you completely use these holdings for margins.

Non-Cash Scrips will include all scrips counted as non cash components. Which means that if you decide to buy & use these as margins, you will need to maintain the 50:50 cash to non cash ratio failing which you will be charged an interest of 0.0438% per day on the cash shortfall. These can be filtered based on the margins you will get from them, be it 90% 85% or 80%.

In both of the above cases, the Top 20 scrips in that category will be displayed. You can instantly select, edit quantity and buy any of these scrips by tapping on “Instant Buy” or “Add them to Basket” for customisation or buying later. Please Note, the top 10 scrips have been selected by default here because only 10 scrips can be added to basket at any given time. In case you wish to edit and select scrips of your choice, you can do so.

That aside, the original simple and seamless experience of pledging holdings from your existing Portfolio continues to be the same. We know our users love it, and we hope that the new addition to discover scrips for higher margins on Dhan now further enhances it.

As we always say, Dhan gets better everyday!

Best Regards,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan

3 Likes

@PravinJ When margin is blocked for an open position is it now being marked against the pledged component first and then cash ? Till now it was cash first and then pledged component which meant traders have to liquidate their position to withdraw money.

see thing kind of thing is happening everyday which is not the case with other brokers

i had to contact here everyday to get it corrected and you dont even point our the issue so that i stop buying bonds for future.
if you keep doing the margin from bond to zero, obviously there will be a shortfall in margin for FNO positions and they will get squaredoff, kindly inform about he which is here. so that i can choose my broker judiciously.

Hey @ankitch29 ,

Request you to please check this post 9 am everyday. Before that our BOD activities are on due to which you are temporarily not able to view your pledged holdings correctly.

Thanks,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan

Hey @t7support ,

We are on the same logic as of now but starting next month we will be calculating basis 50:50 logic for allowing payouts.

Thanks,
Pranita

No Dhan is not using the same logic. Dhan is first blocking margin using the free cash of the client and only then blocking pledged component. There was a discussion post on the same before on the community as well. We also raised it with @PravinJ over an online meeting. Please do it like other brokers. Client otherwise cannot withdraw his free cash without liquidating his positions.

but doesnt get resolved even after that, i had talk with customer support and you can also check its almost 11 of morning, dont you think position will be squared-off, i have pledged same bond in zerodha and its working fine, value doesnt get vanished in morning it remains same there. so the problem is not the bonds but the dhan i guess

Hi, where can I find the list of all Securities which are part of cash component pledging?

Also can I buy a mutual fund like Icici Prudential gilt fund from Dhan?

Hi @Lelouche welcome to Dhan community!

You can Click here to view the complete list of scrips. Moreover, for Mutual Funds please keep a eye on community we will be launching this soon.

Thanks @Poornima

With “launching this soon”, are you talking about Pledging option for Mutual funds, or only the ability to buy via Dhan.

@Pranita

See this I am unable to withdraw cash because Dhan has blocked margin against free cash in account first.

@PravinJ last time we had a chat this was on the to do list. Any progress on this ? Please let me know.

Yes, on our list of things to do. We have to make few more changes on our Order Management systems - particularly for MCX after which we plan to look at this. It will take a bit, needs much testing across multiple mock trading sessions.

Ok Thanks @PravinJ. Sooner the better. Traders not able to withdraw funds even if they have sufficient surplus is a real problem for them.

1 Like

Hi @Poornima
I am holding LTGILTBEES since 1 day which is clearly part of the above list. However I am still not able to pledge it. Can you please suggest

Hey @Lelouche ,

Please DM me your client code or email me on pranita.joshi@dhan.co.

Thanks,
Pranita

It is showing pledge option today, however gives service unavailable error consistently.

Hey @Lelouche ,

Your holding has been pledged successfully. Only scrips in free DP can be pledged which is why you were not able to do it yesterday.

Thanks,
Pranita
Product @ Dhan