Tradable Active Securities in Indian Stock Markets

Were you aware of the numerous tradable securities available in the Indian Capital Markets? While stocks, bonds, and mutual funds are commonly recognized, thereā€™s actually a wide array of options. Below, youā€™ll find a comprehensive list of the ā€œActiveā€ tradable securities in this market.

Active Tradable Securities
Bonds (Central and State Guaranteed) 1265
Certificate of Deposit 89
Close Ended Mutual Fund 645
Commercial Paper 1213
Commodity Bullion 6
Cumulative Convertible Preference Shares 756
Cumulative Preference Shares 116
Debentures 11198
Government Securities 6154
InvIT Units 24
Mutual Units 428
Open Ended Mutual Fund 11758
Ordinary Shares 19225
Participating Preference Shares 133
Pass Through Certificates 82
Pay Through Certificates 13
Preference Shares 1685
Promissory Note 7
REIT 4
Rights Entitlement Equity 2
Rights Entitlements InvIT 1
Security Receipts 10
Treasury Bill 91
Units 425
Warrants 175
Zero Coupon Bonds 647
Total 56152

These diverse securities represent a range of investment options catering to different risk appetites and financial goals. They include debt instruments like bonds and debentures, equity instruments like shares and mutual funds, and specialized instruments like REITs and InvITs. The variety of options available underscores the complexity and sophistication of modern financial markets. Itā€™s important to note that each category has its unique characteristics, potential returns, and associated risks.

Do let us know which of the above asset class you are invested in and which are new to your ears. Would love to provide more information :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Though I have heard almost all of them, never knew that so many of them are also tradable. And surprised to see ā€˜Promissory Noteā€™ in the list too.

Most of them would be highly illiquid, so no point of trading.

Two questions:

1. Ordinary Shares = 19225. This is surprising since there arenā€™t so many listed companies. Have you count same company listed on different exchanges multiple times?
  2. What is the difference between Mutual Funds and Open ended mutual funds when you have Close ended mutual funds as a separate line item?

Could you throw some light, how to buy/sell mutual funds on exchanges? How is their NAV decided in markets? And what about different schemes like Dividend/Growth etc.

@Shally PNs even I agree, they are obsolete.

1. The above list is curated of from the Active ISINs from Depositories and hence the count also includes all the listed and non-listed companies (even includes Private Limited Companies) and hence the number is high.
  2. I guess you mean ā€œMutual Unitsā€. Those are interval funds which are basically a hybrid of close-ended and open-ended. Different Schemes are identified by different ISINā€™s. Though I have never traded/invested in MF via Exchange platform but will surely check and get back to you on this.
1 Like